VFW Post 10038
POW/MIA Eternal Watch

Honoring the Memory

Harold E. Drown
Private First Class, US Army

Sutton, Vermont
Declared Deceased while MIA
July 20, 1950

On July 20, 1950, the 3rd Battalion of the U.S. 34th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, was holding a defensive line in South Korea overlooking the Taejon Airport, northeast of the city. When enemy tanks broke through the line near the airport, U.S. troops were ordered to fall back through Taejon. The 3rd Battalion was ordered to lead the convoy out of Taejon, but ran into a series of collapsed structures and roadblocks that broke up the column. U.S. forces were unable to break through these roadblocks, and to avoid capture soldiers moved off-road and began filtering through the countryside in small groups.

Corporal Harold Edwin Drown entered the U.S. Army from Vermont and was a member of Headquarters Company, 34th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division. He was serving as a perimeter guard for his company near Taejon on the morning of July 20, when the area came under enemy attack. Corporal Drown was wounded by tank fire during the fighting and was later reported missing in action. His remains have not been identified among those returned to U.S. custody following the ceasefire, and he is still unaccounted-for. Today, Corporal Drown is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Marvin G Hamelin
PVT, First Class, US Army
North Troy, Orleans County, Vermont
November 27, 1950
Marvin G Hamelin enlisted in the United States Army and served during the Korean War.   Hamelin held the rank of Private First Class at the time he went Missing in Action. His military occupation or specialty was Low Speed Radio Operator, his Service Number assignment was 11159245.  PVT Hamelin was attached to 229th Signal Operations Company.  PVT Hamelin hailed from Orleans County, Vermont according to archival records.

Death of a Vermont Comrade

PVT Hamelin served in combat action against Communist Chinese and North Korean Focres at The Battle of Chosin Reservoir, also known as the Chosin Reservoir Campaign,  a decisive battle in the Korean War.  On 27 November, the Chinese Army surprised UN Forces at the Chosin Reservoir area.  A brutal 17-day battle in freezing weather and rough terrain soon followed.  In the period between 27 November and 13 December 1950, 30,000 United Nations troops were encircled and attacked by approximately 120,000 Chinese troops.  The cold weather was accompanied by frozen ground, resulting in frostbite casualties, icy roads, and weapon malfunctions.  In the end over 17,000 UN forces were killed or wounded or missing in action, or died of wounds.  Communist Chinese losses were three times that amount.  PVT Hamelin was reported as MIA after the bloody battle. 

Private Marvin G Hamelin, United States Army of Orleans Country Vermont is memorialized at Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. This is an American Battle Monuments Commission location.  Marvin is remembered at the Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington. This is a National Parks Service and American Battle Monuments Commission location.
MIA Update
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced two burial updates and one new identification for service members who have been missing and unaccounted-for from World War II. Returning home for burial with full military honors are:

Navy Seaman 2nd Class Laverne A. Nigg, 23, of Browns Valley, Minnesota, was assigned to the battleship USS Oklahoma, which was moored at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, when the ship was attacked by Japanese aircraft on Dec. 7, 1941. The USS Oklahoma sustained multiple torpedo hits that caused it to quickly capsize. The attack on the ship resulted in the deaths of 429 crewmen, including Nigg. He will be buried on June 4, 2022, in his hometown. Read about Nigg.

Army Air Force Lt. Col Addison Baker, 36, of Chicago, was commander of the 328th Bombardment Squadron, 93rd bombardment Group, 9th Air Force. On Aug. 1, 1943, the B-24 Liberator aircraft Baker was piloting crashed as a result of anti-aircraft fire during Operation Tidal Wave. Following the war, his remains could not be identified. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. The date and location of his funeral have yet to be decided. Read about Baker.
Army Air Forces Tech. Sgt. William F. Teaff, 26, was assigned to the 351st Bombardment Squadron, 100th Bombardment Group, 8th Air Force. On March 6, 1944, he was serving as a radio operator on a B-17 Flying Fortress when it was destroyed during a bombing mission. The entire crew, except for the navigator, survived and bailed out, but were captured by the Germans and sent to POW camps. Teaff died on July 10, 1944, in a nearby village while receiving medical treatment for diphtheria. Interment services are pending. Read about Teaff.


Join us as brothers and sisters of America to preserve the rights of veterans and support each other as only those who share in the camaraderie forged by conflict can.